It is vital to know the tell-tale warning signs of a roof that’s at the end of its run. If you experience any of the following issues, it’s more than likely that your roof needs major repairs or a total replacement. This may sound like a bad thing, but when you have a team of trusted roofing experts like you’ll find at Fichtner Services working with you to find an affordable and stress-free solution, taking care of any roofing problems you might have is a breeze.
- CURLED & BUCKLED SHINGLES: Visibly distorted shingles are a clear signal that your roof has some age under its belt. Buckled shingles happen due to moisture in the attic space below that forces nails to push upwards and out of the roof’s exterior. This situation can leave your home exposed to the elements as well as making the shingles more susceptible to blowing off during strong winds.
- TAR STREAKING & ALGAE FORMATION: Tar streaking and algae growth is caused by pesky bacteria eating through the shingle’s weatherproofing coating. Cheap shingle manufacturing companies often use fillers like limestone to keep the cost of shingles at a minimum. This algae will break down the limestone, resulting in a visible black streak that can lead to leaks if left unattended. Fichtner Services utilizes GAF, America’s #1 selling shingle roofing brand, GAF offers a Lifetime Warranty on ALL of their laminated roofing shingle lines!
- GRANULES MISSING: Absent granules are a sign that your roof is quickly losing its weatherproofing capabilities. To check to see if you are missing granules, look to your gutters for granule accumulation when you clean them out. You can also check the area around your downspout for granules.
- MOISTURE & MOLD: If your attic is not properly ventilated warm moist air from your home will rise and get trapped in the attic. This moisture condenses, gathering on the underside of the roof, and causing nails to rust and mold to form. If left long enough, this will lead the plywood to rot out and you’ll have to replace the entire roof.
- MISSING SHINGLES: Dislodged shingles provide an open path for water, cold air, and pests to enter into your home.
- ICE DAMS: If snow and ice remain for considerable periods of time on your gutters and first few feet of the roof, but melts off faster above, you will most likely encounter ice damming. When the snow melts from above and rolls down into the still frozen blockage, it causes a ponding effect. Be proactive before this causes water to enter your home in the next big blizzard! Adequate attic insulation prevents this uneven warming effect on the different parts of the roof while proper installation of an ice and water shield will prevent this from becoming a problem inside your home. Fichtner Services can handle both for you!
A widespread misconception is that a roof is good for ten or fifteen years. While it’s true that a new roof should last at least that long, if there are construction errors or the builders used sub-par materials, the lifetime of your roof could be much shorter. If you notice any of these signs, don’t hesitate, give Fichtner Services a call.
Fichtner Services is a GAF Master Elite Roofing Contractor. Only the top 3% of roofing contractors nationwide qualify as Master Elite Roofing Contractors. With a GAF Master Elite roofing contractor, you’ll be sure to get high quality professional installation. And only a GAF Master Elite contractor can offer the GAF Lifetime Limited Warranties.
Plus, if you contact Fichtner Services for a free estimate by March 1, 2018,
you will receive 10% off the cost of your roof replacement!