Hiring the right contractor to replace your roof or take care of any other major renovations to your home is a big decision. There are a lot of factors to consider beyond price. Chances are, you’ll always find someone who will do the work for less money, but what will it cost you in the end? Inferior craftsmanship, low quality customer service or worse…
An unlicensed contractor horror story
In Prince George’s County, a retired couple paid $20,000 to an unlicensed contractor to build an addition to the first floor of their home. During the winter, their roof collapsed because the contractor had removed a load bearing wall.
5 Facts You Should Know About Unlicensed Home Improvement Contractors
The Maryland Department of Labor, Licensing and Regulation wants you to know why it is important to hire a licensed contractor. Here are the top 5 facts about unlicensed home improvement contractors from the Maryland Home Improvement Commission (MHIC):
- It’s Illegal! In the State of Maryland, home improvement contractors, subcontractors and sales people must have an MHIC license.
- Unlicensed contractors will drive a vehicle without a posted MHIC number or may use a fake number. Visit DLLR online to verify a contractors number.
- An MHIC license can be revoked because of poor workmanship, failure to complete jobs, criminal activity or other violations. Some contractors may attempt to use an expired or revoked license, be sure to verify with the MHIC.
- Elderly homeowners are especially vulnerable to unlicensed contractors. They love to pull “bait and switch” scams, quoting a low price and then demanding more money later.
- Often times unlicensed contractors are from out of state, making it difficult to recover money or stolen items.
Hire a Maryland Contractor with Confidence
Fichtner Services is family-owned and operated serving Annapolis and beyond for more than 17 years. We have earned a reputation over the years as being one of the most trusted and reliable roofing companies in Maryland. Unfortunately, we’ve seen the damage that unlicensed contractors do. Fichtner Services has completed repair work for homeowners who have fallen victim to unlicensed contractors. These repairs are often more expensive than the original work would have been, not to mention the stress that homeowners have to deal with as a result of hiring an unlicensed contractor.
Don’t Be a Victim
Before you hire a roofing company in Annapolis or other home improvement contractor, do your homework. Here are some easy steps you can take to make sure you won’t be the next unlicensed contractor horror story:
- Ask to see every contractor’s MHIC license and then check to make sure it is current. Check online or call DLLR 888-218-5925
- Ask to see a copy of the contractor’s current general liability insurance certificate.
- Ask for local references and follow up to find out if the work was on time, on budget and whether or not they would hire the contractor again. Read Fichtner Services Reviews
- If the contractor has employees, ask to see copies of worker’s compensation insurance certificates. If they use subcontractors, ask to see those licences and make sure they are valid.
Call Fichtner Services For Your Exterior Home Improvement Needs
Whether you need a new roof, new siding, replacement windows or more, Fichtner Services is there for you. We are proud to be named “Best Roofing” company in Annapolis by the readers of The Capital for the second year in a row. We take pride in our reputation and the fact that 75% of our business is from repeat customers and referrals.
If you’re looking for a contractor for your home improvement project, contact us for a free quote. Call 888-785-7649 or request a quote online.